So I woke up this morning, earlier than I would have liked, and popped open my gmail account to find a comment and a like on my blog despite not having written in it for almost 3 weeks. Finals happened, then my Mom came out to visit for two weeks so it’s been a blog free couple of weeks, and because we are about to move to a new apartment, it might be a week or so before I get back to work.
However, in the space of time that I have been writing I have come across a few bloggers, or they have come upon me, thus expanding my writing community. One of the bloggers that discovered me, and by that act allowed me to discover him, is remingtonmoll over at think/look/write. Not only has this guy written some great stuff, he has encouraged and supported my work along the way. This week he threw his hat in the ring to give me the Liebster award for new blogs. I’ll explain the rules of the award and sort of get into what it means below. Either way, I would like to really thank Remington for the honor and the privilege. I will refrain from passing the Liebster right back, but I will send my sincere thanks and get down to the brass tacks of my obligations when it comes to the Liebster.
Step 1 – Tell the audience 11 things about myself:
1. My name is Chuck. Well, Charles. The changing of names that have occurred throughout my life are numerous and each change is a story in its own right. Lets just say that at the moment there are four names I am actively called by (not counting pet names from my girlfriend.) I am simultaneously Chuck, Charles, Chucky, and Justin.
2. I am a dog person. I like cats, despite being allergic to them, but I definitely find the blind and massively loyalty displayed by dogs to be necessary to my life. I do not own one now, but I will soon.
3. From the age of 12 to 16, I hung out with a really bad crowd that got me into drinking way to early. So from 16 to 26 I didn’t drink a drop of alcohol. Now I collect whiskey, and even write a blog when I have the money to buy the hooch. A cool class of bourbon on a warm evening is still one of my favorite things in the world
4. I love to drive. I own a Scion TC and have driven it back and forth from southern california to seattle washington, and once across the country from so cal to New Jersey where I currently live. It will likely also make the journey back across the states one day in the next few years.
5. I hate writing in pencil. My favorite pens are Pilot G-2’s. I buy them in bulk at Costco. Beautiful ink.
6. I consider myself a Christian and send a good amount of time in Christian philosophy. Perhaps not as much time in the word as I should, but plenty of time reading intellectual material about the faith and debating aspects of the faith with friends.
7. I have no talent for any visual art apart from doodles. But I am a doodle master!
8. I am almost 30 and still wear exclusively skate shoes. I love them.
9. The first novel I ever read completely by myself was Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton. I was in the 3rd grade…. it took me forever!
10. I love fantasy/sci-fi. Also I want to write a supernatural western someday. Something about a cowboy priest fighting the devil.
11. Both of my parents and a great deal of my extended family have either struggled or continue to struggle with substance abuse problems.
Step 2: When Remington nominated me, he asked 11 questions. Here I will answer them.
1. What’s one of the best compliments you’ve ever received?
One that came very recently actually – My writing professor compared me to two authors – Neil Gaiman and Cormac McCarthy, two writers I both love and respect. I can see it kind of with Neil Gaiman, when I read his stuff I realize that the way he phrases things is the way I phrase things. Cormac McCarthy is a master, and to even be thought of as a vague resemblance is an honor.
2. If you had to get a tattoo on your face, what would it be and where?
I think I’d get a four leaf clover on the corner of my eye. Unless putting it behind my ear counts. Then it would probably go there.
3. Where are you right now?
At my desk, in my nook, in my apartment, in Jersey City, in New Jersey, In the U.S., on Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy – within the universe.
4. Are you closer to your mom or your dad? Explain if you want.
Most definitely my mom. I recently wrote a passage about my father that will work well here. “Somewhere, in the background of myself, tucked into a deep corner of my shadow, is a spectre in the shape of my father. A hole seventeen years long and three states wide separated us, yet in the bottom of that hole – in a half-lit place that strains and aches to be individual – lives the person between us.”
5. How many hours a week do you spend blogging?
Not as many as I should, but the weeks when I’m active probably 10 – 12 hours a week if you count writing time. If you count the time I spend lying in bed telling myself the stories I have written today or will write tomorrow its a lot more :).
6. What is one of your favorite quotes?
Nothin’ to it but to do it. Also – Let all that which does not matter, truly slide.
7. Have you read the bible? If so, what’s your least favorite part?
My least favorite part is Revelation. It’s so odd and vague and full of things that could be parable or metaphor but is never really clear that it causes people to act silly and make decisions that are no good for them or those around them. No person will know the date or the hour… so don’t worry about it.
8. Would you want to be a full-time writer if you could?
I say yes now that I don’t actually have to. But who knows, when something you love becomes your job it can either be a blessing or a curse. Now if it was some weird circumstance like… you can write for a living but only if its writing tech manuals… then that would be awful.
9. When was the last time you watched Home Alone (the original)?
a decade or more. No real idea.
10. Do you have any friends of Middle-Eastern decent?
I have an Israeli friend – and an Indian friend. Thats probably as close as I get.
11. Describe yourself in four words. Only four. Don’t cheat. I know where you blog.
funny smart lazy open
Step 3 – Nominate bloggers of your own for the Liebster award. Now it says to nominate 11 – I’m not sure how many I will have but I will nominate the ones I think deserve it.
http://jeremygrand.wordpress.com/ – This guy has posted two chapters of something that I am super impressed with so far. Inventive – intense – and supremely talented – this guy will go far.
http://bluestockinghack.wordpress.com/ quirky and interesting – her work is vivid and quite fetching. Check it out
http://windhorseblog.wordpress.com/ She had moved me to tears a few times – made me laugh out loud with joy a few times – and impressed me with every word I have read. I know this blog has quite a few followers but she still deserves the recognition.
http://lucidedit.wordpress.com – one of the more active members of our writing community – always has great comments and great work to top it off.
http://fate423.wordpress.com/ super supportive and a great reviewer. She is working on more creative work – I say we give her some attention and some gentle (or not so gentle 😉 ) nudges.
I know its only 5, but I’m newish to the scene so thats all I really have so far.
Step 4 – ask my own questions! 11 of them!
1. If you could dye your hair any unnatural color – which would you choose?
2. If you could only take one album with you to a deserted island which would you choose?
3. What is your favorite character name you have ever come up with?
4. If you were cast in a zombie movie – would you rather be a zombie or a person fighting the zombies?
5. First novel you ever read by yourself – how old were you – how long did it take?
6. What is your favorite video game? – phone apps count. If none – you may choose a board game.
7. What was your first blog post that was written purely for your blog.
8. If you could inhabit the role of any character in literary history – which would you inhabit?
9. Magic or technology? – I.e. science fiction or fantasy – star wars or lord of the rings (that kind of thing)
10. If you were forced to write with only color crayon for the rest of your life – which color would you choose?
11. Finally, what kind of car do you drive? – if none, what is your favorite form of transit.
Have fun kids and thank you again to remintonmoll for the Liebster.